Our School has a rich history of innovation.
In 1928, the first Library Science course was taught at San José State University. Three decades later, in 1954, SJSU SLIS first started offering a graduate degree in Library Science.
The degree program has been continuously accredited by the American Library Association (ALA) since 1969, and was accorded its most recent accreditation update in 2007. In 1994, the Master of Library Science degree name was changed to a Master of Library and Information Science (MLIS). You can learn more about our School’s ALA accreditation by browsing reports from our most recent re-accreditation process.
In 2008, the School introduced a second graduate degree, the Master of Archives and Records Administration (MARA), and in 2012, the School started offering its Post-Master’s Certificate program in Library and Information Science.
The School is a recognized leader in distance learning.
Off-site courses were first offered in 1957, and closed circuit television was used to link distance learning students to our faculty starting in 1958. In 1995, we started offering two-way interactive video courses, and in 2001, we transitioned to web-based courses to meet the needs of our growing number of distance learning students. In 2009, SJSU SLIS transitioned to a fully online delivery model, and all courses are now delivered through web-based, online learning.
Read about our School’s mission, vision, and values by visiting this web page.
The SJSU School of Library and Information Science offers a rich history of innovation and a steadfast commitment to preparing our students for success in a rapidly changing profession. Key milestones in our School’s history include:
- 1928: First Library Science courses taught at San Jose State University.
- 1954: SJSU started offering a graduate degree in Library Science.
- 1969: Library Science graduate degree accredited by the American Library Association.
- 1985: Degree name changed to Master of Library and Information Science (MLIS).
- 2008: First doctoral cohort admitted to the San Jose Gateway PhD Program.
- 2009: All MLIS courses delivered through online learning.
- 2011: First cohort of students graduated from the Master of Archives and Records Administration (MARA) program.
Read all about the history of the School of Library and Information Science at San José State University in the book, "A Pioneering and Independent Spirit," written by SLIS faculty member Debra Hansen.