9. (68) Faculty performance is regularly assessed.
Not Observed Insufficient Moderate Use Meets Criterion Completely
Standards and Expectations
The SJSU SLIS Online Teaching Standards and Indicators [PDF] and the Minimum Instructional Expectations for All Faculty guide the expectations for faculty performance.
A tenured faculty member conducts peer reviews of all part time faculty using a peer evaluation form. Her reviews form part of the Director’s annual assessment of part time faculty.
The evaluation is based on the SJSU SLIS Online Teaching Standards and Indicators [PDF].
Retention, Tenure, Promotion
Full time faculty are reviewed via the University’s Retention, Tenure, Promotion (RTP) guidelines.
Full time tenure track faculty are evaluated over a 6 year period. Faculty Expectations are clearly laid out.
Student Opinion of Teaching Effectiveness (SOTE)
The California State University uses a uniform student evaluation form – Student Opinion of Teaching Effectiveness (SOTE). All classes taught by part time faculty are evaluated each time taught. Tenure track faculty must evaluate two classes a year. The results are provided to the faculty members and to the Director. An overall standard of a 4.0 (on a 5.0 scale) is expected. If a faculty member fails to reach this after 3 attempts they are not retained. The Director’s review is also reviewed by the Associate Dean of the College.
Following are the SOTE rating questions:
- Demonstrated relevance of the course content
- Used assignments that enhanced learning
- Summarized/emphasized important points
- Established an atmosphere that facilitated learning
- Was approachable for assistance
- Was responsive to the diversity of the students in this class
- Showed strong interest in teaching this class
- Used intellectually challenging teaching methods
- Used fair grading methods
- Helped students analyze complex/abstract ideas
- Provided meaningful feedback about student work