The MLIS curriculum is constantly evaluated and updated to align with today's job market and emerging trends in the library and information science field.
We know it's important for students to have as much information as possible regarding courses, making it easier to choose courses that are the best fit for their interests and career objectives. SJSU SLIS students have access to a wealth of information regarding our courses. We invite prospective students and current students to explore the links below to learn more about our fully online graduate courses.
- Course descriptions — Read a brief description of the graduate courses (required courses and electives) offered in the SJSU information school's Master of Library and Information Science (MLIS) program. Note course numbers to help you with scheduling your classes. Course descriptions for the Master of Archives and Records Administration (MARA)program are provided on this web page.
- Seminar courses — View an alphabetical list of all the seminar topics offered in our fully online MLIS program. New seminar classes are continually added to our MLIS curriculum, in order to keep students current with rapidly changing information environments. This comprehensive list also includes student learning outcomes (SLOs) for each course.
- Syllabi — Search this page by semester and course number to view detailed information about each course, including objectives, assignments, and required readings.
- Class schedules — Find out when future classes will be offered at SJSU SLIS.
- Books — Order textbooks and identify required books for each course, including books required for the upcoming semester.
- E-portfolio — Learn more about the e-portfolio culminating experience option for MLIS students.
- Internships — SJSU SLIS students can elect to earn up to 8 units as an intern, working with organizations located across North America. Learn about our internship program, where students gain valuable, hands-on experience and expand their professional network.
- Career pathways — Learn more about how our courses can prepare you for a wide range of career opportunities in a variety of information settings.
Prospective students who have questions regarding our curriculum are invited to contact Vicki Robison, student services coordinator for the SJSU School of Library and Information Science.
Current SJSU SLIS students who have questions regarding courses are encouraged to contact their SJSU SLIS academic advisor.