What to Expect When Connecting to Blackboard Collaborate
Are you about to connect to a Collaborate session for the first time? Here's what to expect:
On the Session Login page, type in your first and last names (a space between them is fine):
- Wait a few seconds for the meeting download to begin. Collaborate will download a tiny Java file to your computer (which is a "pointer" to the session).
Internet Explorer users may need to watch for the alert bar at the top of the window. Click on the bar and confirm that you want to download the file.
If you are using Firefox, you'll receive the following confirmation box. Confirm that you want to open the file.
- A window will open to let you know Java is starting.
The first time you join a Collaborate session, it may take a few minutes for the Java files to download.
You may receive a notice regarding the Digital Signature. Be sure to select "Always Trust" and then click on the Run button.
You may also see a Blackboard Collaborate status window while the session is loading.
- The first time connecting from a new computer, you will be asked to accept the Session Participant Agreement. Click on the Accept button.
Also, the first time connecting from a new computer, you will be asked to set your connection speed. Use the pulldown menu.
- You'll wait while the connection is established and authentication is completed.
- When you see this screen, you'll know your connection was successful. You'll see your name in the list of participants in the upper left of the screen.