Overview of SLIS Blogs
A blog or weblog is a Web-based tool that allows the blog owner to quickly publish commentary and other material on the Web in a journal format. The blog displays postings from authors in reverse chronological order. If the blog owner permits it, anyone can join the conversation and contribute a comment (response). No knowledge of HTML programming is required. Some blogs are password restricted and only those in the targeted group have access.
How to Subscribe to a Blog
You can choose to visit the blog periodically to see the latest postings. Or, you can subscribe to the blog feed through your browser or a news aggregator such as Google Reader. See RSS Explained for details and tutorials on using RSS.
- slis21 – This blog is managed by Associate Director Dr. Linda Main and discusses curriculum developments such as new courses and scheduling, important registration news and updates, and everything current students need to know.
- Faculty Tech Tips: Ideas for faculty who teach online – This blog is managed by Dr. Jeremy Kemp and provides insight and innovative ideas for faculty who teach online.
- MLIS Open House Follow-Up Blog – Managed by Dr. Linda Main. See also Online Open Houses. We host online open houses throughout the year. This blog is a forum for prospective students to ask questions stemming from the open house discussions. If you have a burning question about our graduate programs, go to this blog and get an answer.
- SJSU SLIS Career Blog – The Career Blog is a must-read for job seekers. Jill Klees, SJSU Career Center Liaison to SLIS, posts answers to your career-related questions.
- SJSU SLIS General Advising Blog – Managed by Dr. Linda Main. SLIS students - if you need help choosing a career pathway, deciding which courses to take, or general advice and support during your MLIS studies, this blog is for you.
- SLIS Colloquia Blog – Information about SLIS Colloquia and links to webcasts.
SLIS Virtual Internship Blog – Managed by Dr. Patricia Franks, this blog provides information for virtual interns, site supervisors, and all others interested in SJSU
SLIS and its virtual internship program.
- SLIS Virtual Center for Archives and Records Administration (VCARA) Blog – Information about virtual world events sponsored by VCARA on SLIS Island in Second Life is posted to this blog managed by Dr. Patricia Franks.
- SLIS Internship Blog – Information about the SLIS internship program with examples of on-site internship experiences is posted to this blog managed by Dr. Patricia Franks. Information specific to virtual internships is posted to the SLIS Virtual Internship Blog.
- New Student Blog – This blog is designed specifically for our newest students, as well as applicants to our School’s graduate programs. A current MLIS student hosts the blog and provides information and advice for new students.
- Center for Information Research and Innovation (CIRI) Blog – SJSU SLIS faculty post on a variety of topics concerning their research projects.
Get Important General SLIS News Info Via RSS
Consider subscribing to the SLIS News & Announcements feed, which is a limited selection of email sent to all students via the SLISAlert notification system. The feed has the textual content of general interest messages distributed via SLISAlert. As a student, you are automatically a member of SLISAlert, but you may want to also subscribe to the limited RSS feed below.