Maria has had a twenty plus year career as an academic librarian. She has worked in collection development as a bibliographer, in management as a department head and in administration as an associate dean and a state-wide consortium director. She has had a parallel career in publishing as editor of Library Administration & Management (ALA; 1996-2000) and as one of the founding editors of Criticas Magazine (Reed Business Info.; 2001-2004). Her list of published works goes back to 1988 and spans local, national and international publications. Maria currently lives in the Chicago area.
Proposal Title: Factors Affecting Funding of the Academic Library
San José Supervisor: Dr. Bill Fisher
Queensland Supervisors: Dr. Helen Partridge and Dr. Ken Haycock
- San Jose State University / Queensland University of Technology, School of Library and Information Science, PhD Candidate, 2011 --.
- University of Michigan, School of Library and Information Science, MLS, 1985
- Princeton University, Romance Languages and Literature, MA (A.B.D.), 1984
- Barnard College, Columbia University, BA, Major: Spanish, Minor: English, 1981
Current or Most Recent Position:
- Editor-in-Chief for the SJSU School of Library and Information Studies-based Student Research Journal (SRJ).
- Berendt, L. & Otero-Boisvert, M. (2012). Future-proofing the academic librarian. In Crowley, B. (ed.) Defending professionalism: a resource for librarians, information specialists, knowledge managers, and archivists. Santa Barbara, CA: Libraries Unlimited.
- Otero-Boisvert, M. (2011). Participating in the conversation. Student Research Journal, 1(2). Retrieved from: http://scholarworks.sjsu.edu/slissrj/vol1/iss2/1/