Dr. Geoffrey Z. Liu
Statement of Research Interests & Experience
I have a strong research background in information retrieval and systems engineering. I am currently investigating cognitive shifting in dynamic information retrieval. I have also developed a strong research interest in school libraries serving local communities, from my involvements with the Evergreen Education Foundation and its school library projects in China.
Possible PhD Thesis Topic Areas
- Information retrieval systems and algorithm design
- Behavioral and cognitive aspects of interactive information retrieval
- Computer-mediated interaction and communication
- School libraries and community service in developing countries
Ten Representative Publications
- Liu, G. (2008). School libraries serving rural communities in China: The Evergreen model. School Libraries Worldwide, 14(1).
- Liu, G., & Zhang, W.H. (2008). School library support of health education in China: A preliminary study. The International Electronic Journal of Health Education, 11, 13-31.
- Liu, G. (2007). Digital library developments: A comparative analysis (in Chinese). Journal of Library in Yunnan, 105, 34-40.
- Liu, G. (2005). Virtual reference technology and service in modern libraries (in Chinese). Journal of Library in Yunnan, 97, 2-6.
- Liu, G. (2005). Evergreen: bringing information resources to rural China. Washington, D.C. : Council on Library and Information Resources (CLIR).
- Liu, G. (2002). Automatic relevance learning in web-based information retrieval. Proceedings of the International Conference on Digital Library: IT opportunities and challenges in the New Millennium (pp.141-158). Beijing: The Beijing Library Press.
- Liu, G. (1999). Virtual community presence in Internet Relay Chatting. Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication, 5(1).
- Liu, G. (1997). The Semantic Vector Space Model: implementation and evaluation. Journal of American Society for Information Science, 48(5), 395-417.
- Liu, G. (1996). Natural language processing and automatic indexing of texts: the semantic vector space model (in Chinese). Journal of China Society for Scientific and Technological Information, 15(6), 402-413.
- Liu, G. (1994). The Semantic Vector Space Model: A text representation and searching technique. Proceedings of the 27th Hawaii International Conference of Systems Sciences (HICSS), 4, 928-937.
Professional Memberships & Related Matters
I am a member of the American Society for Information Science and Technology.