Teacher Librarian FAQs

Quick Links


  1. Q. How do I enroll in the Teacher Librarian Program?
    A. The teacher librarian program is embedded in the MLIS program. In order to apply for the Teacher Librarian program you apply for the MLIS program. Information on the application process can be found here. Once you have been accepted into the MLIS program, declare your intent and interest in the TL program by enrolling in the Teacher Librarian Advising D2L site.
    Instructions on self-enrolling in the D2L Teacher Librarian Advising site:
    • Log into D2L.
    • In the My Courses widget, click on the SLIS ePortfolio and Community Groups Portal link.
    • Click on the SLIS Community Sites link.
    • In the Course Offering Name column, click on the Teacher Librarian Credential Advising link.
    • In the View Course Offering Information page, verify that you want to enroll into the Teacher Librarian Credential Advising by clicking Register.
    • You will then see the Registration Information page. The fields on this page will be populated with the user's D2L account information. Click Submit.
    • You will then see the Confirmation page. Click Finish to complete the self registration process.
  2. Q. Can I co-enroll in a teaching credential program and the MLIS?
    A. This is not a recommended path and SJSU SLIS does not provide a co-enrollment option.



  1. Q. How can I network with other Teacher Librarian candidates?
    A. Please enroll in the D2L Teacher Librarian Advising site. This will allow you to communicate with Mary Ann Harlan, the program coordinator. It will also allow yout to communicate with other Teacher Librarian students. Opportunities to ask questions, provide information, learn about scholarships, volunteer opportunities, and jobs are frequently posted and shared on this site.



  1. Q. I am a working teacher librarian who is enrolled in the program do I still need to complete fieldwork?
    A. Yes.



  1. Q. Do I have to have a teaching credential in order to obtain a teacher librarian credential?
    A. In California, yes. However, this requirement varies from state to state. For information on different states visit the AASL site or the School Library Media Month  it is important to check with your home state to determine if they only require approved coursework or if they in fact expect you to meet all of the requirements for a CA Teacher Librarianship certificate. A sample question might be: "Do I have to complete a program making me eligible for a endorsement in the home institution state or is coursework sufficient?"
    If the answer is that you need to meet all of the requirements for a CA Teacher Librarian certificate, you will need the following:
    • A valid California Professional Clear Credential
    • Basic Skill Authorization
    • English Language Learner Authorization.
  2. Q. Can I take the TL classes without a teaching credential and apply for the Teacher Librarian credential after I obtain a teaching license?
    A. This is not recommended.  You need a Clear Professional Credential so this path would require one year of an educator preparation program, and two years of classroom teaching before you could apply for the Teacher Librarianship Credential.
  3. Q. I have an MLIS and am interested in obtaining a teacher librarian credential.  Can I do this?
    A. Yes. However you need the following to be eligible:
    • A valid California Professional Clear Credential
    • Basic Skill Authorization
    • English Language Learner Authorization.

    If you meet the prerequisites listed above contact Mary Ann Harlan with your information. Please include the year you obtained your MLIS and a list of courses you completed in your MLIS program. She will provide further information on necessary course work and the application process.