The Teacher Librarian Services credential is a second credential; to be granted this credential a candidate must hold a valid single or multiple subject clear credential issued by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CCTC). Candidates may choose to complete the MLIS and the Teacher Librarianship coursework prior to earning their first credential, but the application process for the Teacher Librarian Services credential cannot be initiated until the first credential is issued by the CCTC.
STEPS TO FOLLOW
- Hold a valid single subject or multiple subject credential from the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CCTC).
- Coursework: complete all coursework for the Teacher Librarian Services Credential.
- GPA: You must have a 3.0 GPA in your Credential Coursework.
SLIS TL Contract: After your final required course, the Field Experience (LIBR 295), is successfully completed, Mary Ann Harlan needs to review, approve, and sign your TL contract (see TL Contracts at bottom of this page, or the Contracts Folder in the TL D2L site).
- Submit your completed contract in the Drop Box provided in the TL D2L site. If you no longer have D2L access, then email the filled-out contract (both pages) and your unofficial SJSU SLIS transcript and (if needed) any other transcripts showing courses you may have taken at other institutions that you are using to transfer in or as substitutions to Mary Ann Harlan.
- Mary Ann Harlan will review the contract and transcripts, sign the contract, scan it and return it to you by email. You will then submit the complete, 2-page, signed contract to the School of Education Credentials Office with your other required documents.
Go to the School of Education Credentials Office website.
- Click on "Departments and Offices" in the top horizontal navigation menu
- Click on "Credentials Office" in the left-hand side list of offices
Click on "Applying for Your Credential". You will see:
Applicants must complete all 3 steps:
Step 1: Complete the Information Coversheet [PDF]
Step 2: Pay Application Processing Fee
Step 3: Complete the Appropriate Checklists and Forms
(Print appropriate checklist and submit all required forms)
- To find appropriate checklist for the Teacher Librarian Services Credential, scroll down to the: Other Credentials
- Click on Teacher Librarian Services Clear (or it may say: Library Media Teacher Clear checklist)
- You will then see a checksheet
Per the checksheet, you are responsible for gathering all your required documents and mailing them to the School of Education Credentials Office as one complete package. That is how the Credentials Office prefers to receive your materials.
This means that once Mary Ann Harlan approves and signs and returns your completed TL contract to you, you do not send it to the SLIS office, but instead include the signed contract in the package of materials you send to the School of Education Credentials Office.
That complete package needs to contain the following (as explained in the School of Education Credentials Office checksheet):
- The completed School of Education Credentials Office Information Sheet
- $25.00 Processing Fee (see School of Education Credentials Office website for directions on paying)
- Approved (signed) program contract
- Official Transcripts
- Copy of CBEST - Required if you hold a LIFE Credential (see School of Education Credentials Office website for more information)
- Copy of VALID California CREDENTIAL (see School of Education Credentials Office website for more information)
Please submit COMPLETE application packet and fees in person or mail to:
San José State University/ College of Education/ Credential Services
One Washington Square SH 107, San José, CA 95192-0015
- After your documents have been reviewed and determined to be complete, the School of Education Credentials Office forwards your documents package to the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CCTC). The CCTC then emails you, letting you know you have been recommended to apply online to the CCTC for the credential. If you do not hear from the CTC in a timely fashion (7-10 working days) please contact them at 1.888.921.2682 or by email.
SLIS Teacher Librarian CONTRACT FORMS
PLEASE NOTE: In Fall 2008 the course numbers for the children's and young adult's literature materials classes were changed. So in Fall 2008, LIBR 261 became LIBR 263. LIBR 262 was divided into two different courses: LIBR 264 or LIBR 265. Students who took either LIBR 261 or LIBR 262 prior to the numbering change in Fall 2008 are fine, and should use those numbers for their credential contracts. There will be a small number of students who will have one of the old numbers and one of the new numbers, because they took one of the two courses prior to the numbering change in Fall 2008. When it becomes time to submit your contract, you may need to insert the new course number on your contract by editing it in MS Word. When the contract is submitted to the Credential Services office, the contract must show the same exact course numbers as your transcript. This detail, if unattended, will delay your contract in the Credential Services office. Over time, the old and new numbers will disappear as students complete their MLIS and the credential requirements. Until that point, please be careful.
Select the correct CONTRACT FORM depending on when you were admitted to SLIS:
- If you entered the Program Fall 2006 or earlier: use this CONTRACT [PDF]
- If you entered the Program Spring 2007, Fall 2007, or Spring 2008: use this CONTRACT [PDF]
- If you entered the Program in Fall 2008 or later: use this CONTRACT [PDF]
Questions? Contact Mary Ann Harlan.