Job Listing Sites and Resources
If you are new to the information profession, or it has been a long time since you conducted a job search, you may want to start by checking out the guidelines, checklists, tips and tricks for how to find a library job on liswiki.com (link is external). Although in need of updating (the last update was in 2010), this can still provide useful insights as you lay out your own job search strategy. You may also want to check out this packed with job search tips from LAC, a library staffing agency.
For general information about librarian wages, trends, and related job titles, see Summary Report for United States.
For public library salary information, see Library Journal’s LJ Placement and Salary Survey for 2017 (link is external) for the latest on who is getting hired and how much money they are making.
And for a broad range of jobs that may fit the bill even though they may not say “librarian” in the title, start with: the SJSU job board.
California-Specific Job Resources
- BayNet Job Notices
- California Academic and Research Libraries (CARL) Job Listings
- California Community College Registry
- California Library Association Career Center
- California State Jobs
- Northern California Association of Law Libraries (NOCALL) Jobs
- San Diego Area Law Libraries (SANDALL) Current Openings
- Southern California Association of Law Libraries (SCALLNET) Career Opportunities
- Taylor & Associates (Library management and personnel services)
Association Job Resources
- Advanced Information Management (AIM) Jobs
- American Library Association (ALA) Joblist
- ALISE Jobs
- American Alliance of Museums Careers and JobHQ
- American Association of Law Librarians Career Center
- American Theological Library Association Jobs
- Art Libraries Society of North America (ARLIS) JobList
- ARMA International Careers
- ASIS&T Careers
- Association of Research Libraries (ARL) Jobs
- International Federation of Library Associations and Institutions (IFLA) (scroll down to LIBJOBS)
- Library and Information Technology Association (LITA) Jobs
- Medical Library Association (MLA) Career Center
- Music Library Association (MLA) Jobs and Careers
- Special Library Association (SLA) Career Center
- Society of American Archivists Online Career Center
- Visual Resources Association Employment
Other LIS Job Resources
- Archives Gig
- Congressional Research Service
- H-Net Job Guide (Academic Position Announcements)
- I Need a Library Job (INALJ)
- JobZone (School Library Journal, Library Journal)
- Library of Congress Jobs
- Library Technology Guides jobs
General Job Listing Resources
When searching general jobsites, you’ll probably want to search on multiple keywords in addition to library or librarian. For example, consider searching on records manager, digital archivist, business researcher, information specialist, etc.
- American National Standards Institute (ANSI)
- LinkedIn Jobs
- SchoolSpring.com (K-12)
Additional Resources to Check
In addition to the resources noted above, consider these other places to check for possible library/information job postings:
- State government websites
- State Department of Education websites
- State Library websites (for those states that have State Libraries)
- State library association websites
Also, you may want to check out How to Apply for a Library Job for tips about acing the application process. Some of the information is a bit outdated, but overall it’s a pretty comprehensive overview.
If you have an employment opportunity you’d like to publicize, post the position through the SJSU Handshake system. Read more about SJSU Handshake.