MARA 295 Organizational Consulting Project
Students who come into the MARA program with at least three years of work experience in archives and/or records management have the option of undertaking an Organizational Consulting Project in place of participating in the Internship program. See the Organizational Consulting Project Handbook.
Qualifying for the Organizational Consulting Project
To qualify for the Organizational Consulting Project, you must:
- Be matriculated in the MARA degree program.
- Remain in good academic standing (3.0 CUM GPA or above).
- Meet the following Prerequisites: Successful completion of 7 required courses: MARA 200, 204, 210, 211, 249, 285, and one offering of 284.
- Submit one letter of recommendation from a MARA instructor to the MARA OCP Instructor.
- Receive approval of the MARA OCP Instructor.
Completing the Requirements
If you meet the qualifications, you must self-register for MARA 295 through MySJSU. Through consultation with the MARA OCP Instructor, you will identify a an organizational consulting project that you identified on your own or that was submitted by an individual or an organization that will serve as the “client.”
You and the client will agree upon deliverables which can be recommendations, proposals or other products (e.g., training programs and accompanying manuals and podcasts, revision of a records retention schedule based on a corporate merger, and development of a records management policy for a company that has none) that can be implemented or used by the client organization. A copy of or link to the completed project (or other documentation that the project has been completed), a form indicating satisfactory completion signed and dated by the client, and a final report discussing the project and your personal experience are required for satisfactory completion of the course.
You are expected to devote a minimum of 135 hours to this project during the term in which it is taken.
Evaluating the Experience
Several instruments will be used to evaluate your participation in this course. The actual method or combination of methods used for evaluation will depend on the project selected, learning outcomes, and assignments. Some or all of the following will be requested upon completion of the course:
- Participation. You will be required to enroll in an online course (MARA 295) and contribute to the online discussion and participate in in-class exercises.
- Project log. You will be required to maintain an ongoing record of the hours you’ve worked and your activities. Further information regarding the project log will be available through the online course.
- Project Report.You will be required to prepare a professional project final report (based upon the learning outcomes identified for the project) discussing how those outcomes were (or were not) accomplished. A copy of the final report must be submitted to the instructor through the Canvas learning management system along with the final project or, in the case of a project that is not a document (e.g. an electronic records management system or database), along with access information or other documentation so that the instructor can access the final project.