The massive open online course (MOOC) program at the San José State University School of Library and Information Science brings individuals from diverse backgrounds and geographic regions together in an interactive online learning environment to explore the latest trends in the information profession.
MOOC students do not earn college credit. These open online course are available to the public for free as professional development opportunities.
The first MOOC offered at SJSU SLIS is the Hyperlinked Library MOOC, which explores how libraries are using emerging technologies to serve their diverse communities. MOOC course content parallels the "Hyperlinked Library - Emerging Trends, Emerging Tech" LIBR 287 Seminar taught by Dr. Michael Stephens in the fully online Master of Library and Information Science (MLIS) program at SJSU SLIS. Dr. Stephens teaches both the Hyperlinked Library MOOC and the master's program course.
MOOC enrollees have the opportunity to explore the Hyperlinked Library model through recorded presentations and other content, as well as practical assignments that encourage them to apply what they are learning.
The first MOOC at SJSU SLIS was offered in fall 2013.
MOOC Program Highlights:
- All coursework is completed online
- MOOC enrollees can live anywhere and participate in the course
- No application fees and no course fees
- Professional development opportunity open to anyone
- Explore emerging trends in the information profession
- Engage in a collaborative learning environment
- Use technology to interact with classmates and complete assignments
- Earn a certificate of completion at the end of the course
- Read how the information school's MOOC learning platform facilitates interaction between enrollees, instructors, and course assistants.
- Read how an SJSU SLIS graduate student helped develop the information school's first MOOC.
- Read about two SJSU SLIS graduate students who served as learning guides for MOOC participants: Lissette Gonzalez and Jolene Finn.
- Read a blog post by SLIS Assistant Professor Michael Stephens regarding the MOOC and other new large-scale learning landscapes.
- Find out more about the research Stephens is conducting regarding MOOCs and large-scale learning.
- Watch a recording of Stephens’ keynote presentation, Learning Everywhere: Transformative Power of Hyperlinked Libraries, at the Library 2.013 Worldwide Virtual Conference.
Questions? Please feel free to email Dr. Michael Stephens, the instructor for the Hyperlinked Library MOOC.