The San José State University School of Library and Information Science offers two graduate programs, a post-master’s certificate program, and a doctoral program. We invite you to learn more about each of these programs, aimed at preparing our graduates for leadership roles in rapidly evolving fields. With our fully online delivery model, SJSU SLIS students gain the flexibility and convenience of living anywhere while they pursue their educational goals.
- Master of Library and Information Science (MLIS) – Choose from an expansive array of electives and 13 career pathways, tailoring the program to your specific interests and career goals. Our ALA-accredited MLIS program will prepare you for professional positions in many types of information environments.
- Teacher Librarian Program – Gain the skills and knowledge you need to manage a K-12 school library and complete the coursework required to apply for the Teacher Librarian Services Credential.
- Master of Archives and Records Administration (MARA) – Prepare for a career as an archivist or information governance professional in the emerging field of electronic records and digital asset management. MARA students gain the knowledge they need to take on leadership roles in information governance and corporate archives.
- Post-Master’s Certificate in Library and Information Science – Update your professional knowledge and explore emerging trends in the information field, helping you stay competitive in a challenging job market. Earn your certificate in as little as one year. Engage in a collaborative learning environment with graduate students and faculty in our school's ALA-accredited MLIS program.
- i.School Open Classes – This professional development program is open to everyone. Current and future information professionals can enroll in one or more fully online, graduate-level courses, and earn college credit. Most electives offered in our school's master's degree programs are available though the Open Classes program.
- San José Gateway PhD – Offered through a partnership between the SJSU School of Library and Information Science and Queensland University of Technology, one of Australia’s top research institutions. Take advantage of the convenience and flexibility of a part-time doctoral program, where you’ll gain a global perspective as you interact with scholars and educators on two continents.
- MOOCs – In fall 2013, our school debuted its first MOOC, the Hyperlinked Library MOOC. Additional free online courses are in the works. Stay tuned!
As you explore the online programs offered at the San José State University School of Library and Information Science, we also invite you to sign up for our email announcements. We'll keep you informed about happenings at SJSU SLIS such as new courses added to our curricula, application deadlines, upcoming open house events, and free webinars. Sign up today!