Even though everything is remote, SLIS faculty and staff made me feel like I was part of a small community. -- Spring 2012 graduate
The SJSU School of Library and Information Science is a recognized leader in online learning, offering our students the convenience of a 100% online program, as well as the technology skills today’s employers seek.
Our students benefit from the opportunity to live anywhere while enrolling in our courses, without needing to leave jobs and relocate families to pursue their educational dreams. From the comfort of their homes, SJSU SLIS students can participate in online courses and earn a degree without ever stepping foot on campus.
SJSU SLIS students benefit from a sophisticated online learning environment,where we incorporate the latest technology to enrich the learning experience. Students interact with peers and instructors through web conferencing, social networking platforms, a web-based learning management system, and instant messaging.
Most course content is delivered asynchronously - giving our students the freedom to access the course at any time they choose, from any location. Some courses also include occasional live synchronous sessions.
Every course offered by the School of Library and Information Science is taught online. This means that our instructors are experts at online teaching, and we provide them with the tools and support they need to be effective online educators. Many of our faculty conduct research regarding online learning and share their knowledge regarding developments in online education via presentations and publications.
We know that online learning isn’t the right choice for everyone, so we invite you to explore what online learning is like at SJSU SLIS, so you can decide if it’s right for you.
- Read an article by one of our students, who shares her perspective about our School’s online learning environment.
- Read an article by one of our professors, who describes how he creates an interactive, engaging learning environment for his students.
- Explore the wide range of technology we use in our online courses.
- Attend a live open house, where you can experience the interactivity of our web conferencing platform and ask questions about our online environment. You can also view a recording of an open house event.
- Find out how we prepare all new students for a successful online learning experience through our required one-unit course, LIBR 203. View a recent LIBR 203 course syllabus.
- Check out the 5 benefits of our School's fully online delivery model, things you may not find in programs that offer a blend of on-campus and online learning.
- Browse stories about our students who have participated in virtual internships, gaining hands-on experience and interacting with host institutions that may be located anywhere on the continent.
- Read about our students who participate in research projects, all without leaving their homes.
- Discover the range of research conducted by our faculty members about online learning, along with the presentations they’ve made regarding online education.
- Learn about the type of technology students need in order to participate in our School’s online learning environment.