Center for Information Research and Innovation
The Center for Information Research and Innovation at the San José State University School of Information fosters research in our field, aimed at generating exemplary new practices and innovative products to benefit a global audience.
The iSchool’s Center for Information Research and Innovation (CIRI) showcases faculty and student research and innovative practice, develops research-based and innovative products for the profession/field, fosters grant development, and enhances partnerships with individuals across campus, the continent and indeed the world, as well as with institutions and organizations.
The Center for Information Research and Innovation is organized around numerous research areas, including but not limited to:
- Digital Records and Curation – Includes archives, records management, depositories, digitization, preservation
- Information Access and Use – Includes informatics, information behaviors, organization of information, information services
- Library and Information Science (LIS) Online Learning – Includes online delivery methods, components of successful online delivery, online readiness, LIS education, Masters of Library and Information Science (MLIS) skills
- New Literacies and Learning – Includes digital, visual and information literacy, reading, literature in multiple formats
- Management and Leadership – Includes libraries as organizations, as physical and virtual places, marketing, advocacy, leadership
- Social Dynamics of Information – Includes historical and contemporary topics relating to information and society
- Technological Innovation and Change – Includes impact of emerging trends and technologies on library and information services
The work of the Center for Information Research and Innovation is guided by an International Advisory Board of leading researchers from the academy, government and industry. The board meets regularly to discuss research and professional issues requiring attention, to assess the role and impact of CIRI to date and to recommend priorities for development and resource allocation.
CIRI partners with a variety of organizations. Our partners collaborate on research projects, provide critical funding and engage in joint endeavors in research and innovation.
The School of Information at San José State University is proud to be a member of the following institutions:
- Association for Library and Information Science Education (ALISE)
- California Library Association (CLA)
- California School Library Association (CSLA)
- Freedom to Read Foundation
- International Council on Archives (ICA)
- International Federation of Library Associations and Institutions (IFLA)
- Quality Matters
- Online Learning Consortium (OLC)
- Urban Libraries Council (ULC)
- Web-based Information Science Education (WISE)